I began my legal career working in real estate and heavily involved in eminent domain matters and CERCLA litigation. Eminent domain (and inverse eminent domain) involves obtaining “just compensation” when the government takes private property. I have extensive experience in picking apart government appraisals, which tend to actually do the opposite of providing “just compensation” and getting you the value that you deserve.

Land use

My clients rely on me to handle legal and regulatory matters in regards to complicated and sometimes controversial land uses.

Whether you need to obtain approvals for a project, or buy/sell property, expand your operations, etc., there are State, federal and local laws that apply, more than often generating unexpected costs and headaches.

I help you navigate simple and complex issues to overcome difficult challenges so that you focus on your business goals with greater clarity.

I offer a deep knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment, a solid understanding of local issues; I also bring you the benefits of long-standing relationships with regulators, technical experts, key decision-makers and community stakeholders.

Call me at (520) 260-2007 to discuss your project over the phone.

Planning & zoning

Tucson metropolitan zoning ordinances are local laws that define building codes and land usage regulations for properties in the area. Tucson, Oro Valley, Marana, Vail and other cities in our region are comprised of areas zoned for residential, commercial and industrial development.

These zones are often subdivided into sub-zones with additional use restrictions (type of businesses permitted, etc). Zoning laws and ordinances may affect issues such as customer parking, setbacks, access for deliver trucks, number and types of employees permitted, usage of signs and other forms of advertising.

If you plan to set up, expand or relocate your business, it is vital that you become familiar with these ordinances. At the very least, you ought to check with the zoning office and licensing board of the City, to find out restrictions that may apply to your business within city limits.

Even neighborhoods may have specific land use regulations that you ought to research prior to finalizing any business plan. The consequences of signage ordinances, for instance, can make or break a business.

I have significant experience in helping clients navigate the complex and sometimes not-so-clear planning and zoning ordinances applicable to businesses.

Call me at (520) 260-2007 to discuss your project over the phone: if you observe that I can help you not only have a clear view of your rights but also present your case to city commissioners, we will then meet in person and start going into the details of your file.

Eminent Domain

The government has repeatedly cited the “Takings Clause” to justify taking private property without owner’s consent. The law restricts the government from taking private property except when required for “public” use.

But in 2005 a United States Supreme Court decision severely undermined the protections offered by the Takings Clause and greatly expanded the government’s power to seize private property.

In Kelo vs. City of New London, the Supreme Court held that economic development constituted a “public use” that justified the taking of private property through eminent domain. This decision makes it legal for the government to use eminent domain to seize your property whenever it deems it necessary under the cover of “economic development.”

Abuse of eminent domain is rampant. A simple search on “eminent domain abuse” in Google yields over 200,000 results. Any family could be impacted, and this is the reason why it is important, considering the complexity of the issue and the powers given to the government, to have a very experienced attorney by your side.

What if you are notified that your land could be appropriated under eminent domain?The law provides that you are justly or fairly compensated in this event.

  • Your land must fetch its fair market value
  • If a part of your land is condemned because of this action, you may be entitled to severance damages
  • If there are some fixtures or equipment on your land, you ought to be offered compensation for their loss
  • In certain circumstances, if you have property over the land, you may receive precondemnation damages
  • If you need to relocate, you ought to receive relocation costs

The process of eminent domain is complex and you need the an experienced attorney with the tools and experts available to ensure you are appropriately compensated. If you the government has filed an eminent domain case against you, you are in negotiations with the government, or you have received notice of an upcoming eminent domain matter, call me immediately at (520) 260-2007.

Call Now Button